Thursday, August 4, 2011

Stock market plunged down 500+ points

As soon as I received a text update from CNN about the stock crash I lost focus on my day job and kept rehearsing my plans in my head. Over and over-kept rehearsing my plans in my head. I kept close watch of the news and tried to get a feel for anything going on outside of the office...some lessons learned:
  • Make sure your family/group know what to do and what to avoid if this triggers something. At the time, as I was trying to gather more detailed info on the matter, I called up my wife. She and our son were out of the house strolling about the neighborhood. If something happened, I would want her to be home, or to avoid other people and minimize risks. I made it known to her what I had found out and told her of my concerns. She was soon back at home, secure and listening to news, keeping each other updated by text of how we are doing.
  • Have your atm cards on you, in case there is a need to take out cash. In this case it would have been in anticipation of a bank run. Should people panic and run to the banks, you  want to have taken out enough money before the panic. However, I did not take out cash-as it would have been a negative effect on the banks-I do not want to contribute to the panic.
  • Keep a short inventory of what bank accounts you have and around how much each of them have-revolving around or set aside. If banks closed you may have difficulties. At the time, it was Thursday, if something happened over the weekend banks would be closed. One could still have access to the ATMs but more than that, it would be a problem. So a short list of bank accounts and their value, and the closest branches to your location at the time. I was at work and I knew how much, how close the banks were-and I kept calm and monitored the news. One thing I must advocate is to not contribute to a panic-no matter what the situation.
  • Check your everyday-carry gear before leaving the building. If people do find reason to panic (not this one just yet as it was only a partial crash) I may have difficulty going home. I checked my EDC to find I have enough food, will need to refill my water bottles at the office pantry and should wear my spare shoes I have at work-which are better for long distance walking.
  • I did a quick check of what my recent preps were-and they were all at home and ready for use. A bit messy some of them, not being logged and stored in the right box, but all were within our home and can be used.
  • My office is fairly oblivious to market news because we are in a different industry. I am only aware of the issue as it is part of my concerns as a prepper. I cannot rely on my coworkers to know what is going on outside the office. Hence, I have to get to a window to look at how people are acting. This has other useful applications, but this allows one to sense any tension amongst the people who are outside and not confined to their work at the time. I would peek out the windows everytime I went for coffee, or went for the printer. Any tension in the air and I may need to get a closer look by going downstairs.
As the day went on, my mind kept drifting to the situation and I lost focus at my work. At some point I was comforted by the knowledge that nobody is in a panic just yet-perhaps the sheeple are just oblivious, or maybe people remained calm and optimistic. I went back to work and tried to be productive, keeping in mind that employment is one of the most important preps one can maintain. As soon as I could, I'd inform my family/group and update them on issues I told them were coming-this was to reinforce those who doubt the warnings I had been easing them into. They may not become preppers, but at least they are aware through me. I could definitely need more help to support our group and this was a way to keep them aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment